The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

President's Letter February 2012

Gillian Govan ASV President
This is my first letter to you as president. In fact it is my first time as a president. I have wondered why I am doing it but when there is a need it is difficult to say no.

Life is full of firsts…and if we didn’t take those first steps we would never achieve anything.
It is that first step that is the hardest. Sculpture is like that both in general and in my own practice. Since starting sculpture in the mid nineties, I have taken the fi rst steps into cement sculpture, bronze sculpture, cold bronze, wood and stone carving. To achieve those things I have had to learn to drive cranes, tractors, to weld, pour bronze, carve and make moulds. Every sculpture we make is a first even if it is from a mould, and we don’t know how it will work out. We have to have confidence in what we do. When I joined the sculpture association I gave my fi rst talk about my work…... thanks to Rod Sanders and since then have for the first time helped run exhibitions, activities and even taken a few minutes.

But the best part of being a member of the Association is meeting fellow sculptors and members and making some very good friends. So I hope that during my time as president I can encourage you also to take that first step and do just small things to help those who work so hard to keep the association running. As I write this letter the Herring Island Summer Arts festival is in full swing thanks to Jenny Rickard and her small band of helpers. Mark Cowie is now preparing for the International Flower and Garden Show, which is big job that he did so well last year. But he too needs your help. For those members who took part last year and spent the time there sitting the exhibition, I am sure you will agree it was a great experience. The venue and the location within the gardens is wonderful, and it is a great opportunity for promoting your work, talking to a huge number of people visiting the show (take along a large handful of business cards!) and to enjoy a day chatting to fellow sculptors. It is a win win situation and really good fun, not to mention the advantage of being able to get entry to the show. Please contact Mark and offer to help or just fi ll in days on the entry form. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Officially I am no longer activities coordinator but this is a great association which presents opportunities to learn so much about each others work, visit studios and listen to presentations by established sculptors. In the absence of anyone else taking over I am still putting together a program for the year. However, I really would like to know what you would like from your association.

We have quite a few new members and the first meeting on 15th February in Moorabbin was a good social get together for old and new.

Finally I would like to thank Geoff Williams for the extraordinary job he has done as president, I think since 2008. He set certain goals including revising the constitution, establishing a new website and all this while he acted as newsletter editor and also had full time work. A great job well done Geoff. You deserve a break.

Please feel free to contact me at any time with comments, suggestions, and offers of help or just a happy chat.
Happy New Year and Happy Sculpting……Gillian Govan, President.

No comments: