The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

Letter from the President - April 2012

Gillian Govan
NETWORKING: In the Oxford Dictionary: A group of people who exchange information and contacts for professional and social purposes: a support network. This has become a real buzzword in recent years and applies so well to the Association of Sculptors.


This has been a busy month for me, as I have needed to contact many members on a variety of issues. Every time I have spoken to a member I have learnt something new about them, about their work or about someone or something related to their art practice. I think I have been the winner. But I hope I have also given something back. I have spoken to a member about helping with the monthly activities and in doing so have enlisted his help and learnt that he has been able to get help from another of our members in sourcing materials, and refining his skills.

I spoke to another member in relation to our mail out list and talked about personal websites as well as our new site. I was able to direct her to a website builder.
We have been searching for a venue for meetings and for our annual exhibition and in doing so have met many interesting people and seen many galleries and venues that while not necessarily suitable for our needs now may be good to keep on record. We have secured a venue for our Annual Exhibition and Awards.

During and following the garden show I am sure many members will agree it was a great time for networking with other members and the public.

The monthly meetings have also been a great source of inspiration, knowledge and social contact. Guest speakers, show and tell and visits to studios have been popular and times to meet other members. We have a good program worked out for the next few months.

Other members of the committee have also been busy networking by following up legal issues and queries members have on art prizes and expressions of interest advertised in the media and looking after the well being of our members.

If you have any queries you can contact the committee or send questions to Jenny Rickards to go in the newsletter. Someone out there will know the answer. Or you could just keep talking a lot like I do.


Happy Sculpting
Gillian Govan , President


No comments: