The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

Letter to the Editor


Dear Editor,
I wish to share some observations regarding the recent Annual Exhibition and Awards show at the Yarra Sculpture Gallery.

First let me thank the organizers for putting on a professional and strikingly visual show.


Of  concern though was the location and dare I say the previous locations over the years for these shows. Although the venues have been adequate they have been located somewhat off the beaten track as far as  our punters have been concerned. Only by distributing our invitations have we been able to attract a limited audience to our shows.  My observation is that since  leaving the Telstra building our Association has been very much out of the public gaze which no doubt has been reflected in our sales. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I recognize the limited resources at our disposal but dare I suggest that a long term goal for the Annual Show should be finding a home that is centrally located to foot traffic ideally in the city.
Thank you for letting me share my thoughts,

Jan Indrans.

Response to Jan

I agree that this years exhibition was a striking display of our members work but not a perfect venue for exposure .

In the previous few years while we exhibited in  great galleries they did not have through traffic.  When we were at the Telstra building we had great exhibitions with good sales because there was plenty of passing traffic but they did take a lot of organising. Finding a comparable venue is not easy.  The other key to a successful exhibition is early and extensive publicity and advertising This of course takes time and effort from a few and advertising can be expensive. We have  some leads to follow for venues but if you have any suggestions or can help in anyway to secure a suitable venue or have suggestions re publicity we would be most grateful.

Cheers Gillian

No comments: