The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

President’s letter for August

Hi all fellow sculptors, members and friends..
I am back unopposed as president as are most of the previous committee members and while I am happy to work with this great group of people it was disappointing that there were no other nominations. So the same people are again doing the committee work.

I would like to thank retiring members Suzanne Kaldor and Monica Mauer for their help and support and Robert Kendi who has come on board as Membership secretary and Pat O’Connell who is helping with distribution of the newsletter.
The numbers of members at the Annual General meeting was also disappointing especially as we had such an interesting, inspiring speaker in Damien Vick.

Michael has suggested that we form small committees of people able to do small jobs. This of course would require coordinators but that isn’t so hard if members are all helping. I will over the next few weeks formulate a list of help needed and print in the next newsletter. I am sure many of you would be happy to do some small tasks as needed.

I have also after 7 years resigned as Activities coordinator. This job is very rewarding and can be shared. I would be happy to help anyone interested. And remember it is a coordinator job - the opportunity is there for any member to run an evening on their own work or invite a guest speaker or propose an interesting topic for discussion.

We are now looking forward to our small exhibition at Kinross Gallery in Toorak. It has been well advertised and as polling will take place in the hall behind the gallery we are hoping for a good attendance. I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Bronwyn, Jenny and especially Monica who have worked so hard to put this exhibition together. It is really very exciting.

At the moment there is a wonderful exhibition on at Bundoora Homestead Art Centre. The Mosaic Association of Australia and New Zealand present their national Biennial Exhibition-"Illuminate". I was given the daunting task of judging with a renowned mosaic artist from England. The work there is fantastic. Many of our members were chosen to exhibit and I congratulate you for the very high standard of work. This is another example of art genres overlapping. We are all artists. www.bundoorahomestead.com/whats-on/exhibition/

Finally my cousin in England (a textile artist)put this on Facebook. I am not sure who wrote it but I think we can all relate to it

Gillian Govan President

No comments: